"What isn’t Naturopathic Medicine" would be the better question!
Naturopathic Doctors - Scope of Practice
Naturopathic Doctors - Primary Care Physicians
Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) are licensed as primary care physicians in many states and provinces, including British Columbia.
NDs vs MDs - Training & Education
The training and education of NDs is roughly equivalent to that of MDs in length, scope, depth, and intensity, consisting of:
- At least 7-8 years of post-secondary education (or, for those with an engineering background like myself, more like 10 :) )
- Two years (1500+ hours) of clinical internship in both institutional and private practice settings
- Successful completion of intensive, week-long NPLEX board exams
- Ongoing, career-expansive satisfaction of post-graduate - Continuing Medical Education (CME) requirements in primary medical care, areas of practice focus, and pharmacology
Naturopathic Medicine Insurance Coverage
Accordingly, accredited naturopathic physicians have been granted many medicolegal privileges, including insurance coverage for naturopathic medical consultations under:
Naturopathic Doctors vs. Homeopaths
I do not mean to disparage any unlicensed practitioners - many of whom can no doubt offer substantial healing - and indeed prominently utilize homeopathy in my naturopathic medical practice.
That notwithstanding, however, licensed, regulated, and accredited NDs are held to the higher medicolegal standards of MDs, and are therefore are distinct from homeopaths and other unlicensed, unregulated practitioners.
Naturopathic Doctors vs. Traditional Naturopaths
Similarly, accredited naturopathic physicians are distinct from non-accredited so-called “traditional naturopaths” - unlicensed and, in some cases, even untrained practitioners who are often subject to prosecution for practicing without a license for posing as naturopathic doctors.
Naturopathic Doctors - Science-Based, Modern Medicine
Naturopathic doctors employ the best of scientific, western medicine, including
- Medical workup, examination, differential diagnosis, bloodwork, & laboratory investigations
- Prescriptive rights & pharmacotherapy
- Injection therapy
- Allergy testing
Naturopathic Medicine - Cutting-Edge, Holisitic Healthcare
Naturopathic doctors also employ many interventions which - while still within the western conception of health and healing – are underutilized in conventional medicine, such as:
- Orthomolecular medicine
- Exercise Therapy
- Botanical medicine
- Heliotherapy (light & laser therapies)
- Massage therapy
- Naturopathic manual manipulation (naturopathic “chiropractic”)
- Anti-aging & CRAN therapy
- Medication withdrawal
- Addiction therapy
Naturopathic Medicine - Embracing Traditional Medical Wisdom
As a naturopathic physician, I respect traditional medical wisdom and enthusiastically utilize holistic healing practices, including:
- Homeopathy (constitutional, combination, drainage, and injectable)
- Neuroemotional Technique (NET)
- Neuromodulation Technique (NMT)
- Neural Organizational Technique (NOT)
- Bowen Therapy
- Autonomic response testing (ART)
- Biofeedback (MORA, VEGA, & SCIO)
- Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques (NAET)
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) & Acupuncture
- Music therapy
- Binaural beats
- Energy Medicine
Individualized Naturopathic & Homeopathic Medicine
These therapies - in conjunction with individualized naturopathic and homeopathic medicine - are my particular area of practice focus and interest.
Naturopathic Medicine - Safe & Profoundly Effective
As attested to by extensive naturopathic and homeopathic medical testimonials, these therapies are not only safe for all ages, conditions, and stages of life, but profoundly and deeply effective for virtually any ailment – acute or chronic; physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual.
My Door Is Always Open
But it's up to you to step through.
Do so by contacting me at:
And I - and naturopathic medicine - will help you heal.
Dr. Andy Somody, BEE CBHT CCH ND